Saturday, July 5, 2014

An Endless Overflow Of Gifts



As I heaved my overstuffed suitcase out of the car and hiked my way up the hill to the tent, I had no idea what God had in store for me that week. My little, nervous self didn't realize that God would reveal the magnitude of His love and the overwhelming truth of his promises to me in just five days. But He did. And it was incredible. 

Camp Alandale changed my heart. With the purpose of providing a safe, reliable camp for abused foster care children while continually showering them with the Lord's love and grace was amazing to me. To see them light up when you gave them a compliment, or the tears they cried as they shared their stories, was so powerful. You could just feel the walls and lies of the devil being broken in them as the truth of the Lord began to shape and reform their hearts.

But they weren't the only ones affected that week. I got the privilege of being a junior counselor which means my job was to serve, play and be there for the campers. I cooked, cleaned, sang, hugged, joked, danced, and cried with the kiddos who quickly found a nice little place in my heart.  Every day, us junior counselors were able to spend time in God's word and the more I read, the more I never wanted to put it down. I experienced the abundance of peace and pure joy that came from seeking the Lord and was moved like never before to keep advancing His kingdom.

I was able to bask in even the small things He has provided for me in my life and to remember that I am free. I am free from the mistakes I made five years ago and the mistakes I will make in the next hour. I am free from thinking I will never be good enough. I am free from the pressure of this culture and am free to start living into the joy and love and grace and peace that Christ wanted me to have all along. 

As we read a devotion by Charles Spurgeon, this quote stuck at to me saying, "Why shouldn't every year be richer than the past, in love, and usefulness, and joy?" 

And I thought to myself, "He's right, why shouldn't it?" 

So I'm done being mundane.
I'm done saying, "Well I'm an okay Christian, I do good things, and I don't get in trouble...isn't that enough?" 
No. 

So here I am, ready for whatever the Lord wants for my life, and resting in his endless overflow of grace, peace, joy, love, and freedom. 

No comments: